CS702M Advanced Network Management (Spring 2022)
Advanced network management entails monitoring and controlling various network devices on today's networks in order to provide a more reliable,
secure and efficient network environment.
This course focuses on recent advances in networking and management technologies.
The course will briefly review the architecture of Internet and its protocols, and discuss various operation and management issues.
Prof. Jae-Hyoung Yoo (PIAI Room 336) : 010-2747-6367, jhyoo78(@)postech.ac.kr
- Mon. & Wed. 14:00-15:15 pm (online)
- Language used in lectures and presentations is Korean!
Teaching Assistant (TA):
- Jibum Hong(DPNM Lab, PIRL Room 422) : firstname.lastname@example.org
- A course on network management (e.g., CS353) is required.
If a student did not take a network management course but wishes to take this course,
the student may be admitted under the discretion of the instructor.
- There will not be a required text for this course.
Some e-books and research papers will be distributed to students to read and present.
- Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Computer Networks 5th Edition, PEARSON, ISBN 10:0-13-255317_1, 2011
- Any books about TCP/IP
- David Perkins and Evan McGinnis, Understanding SNMP MIBs, Prentice Hall PTR, ISBN 0-13-437708-7, 1997.
- Heinz-Gerd Hegering, Sebastian Abeck, Bernhard Neumair, Integrated Management of Networked Systems, Morgan Kaufmann, ISBN 1558605711, 1999.
- Mani Subramanian, Network Management: Principles and Practice, Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-35742-9, 2000.
- Jean-Phillippe Martin-Flatin, Web-based Management of IP Networks and Systems, Wiley, ISBN 0-471-48702-3, 2003.
Suggested Reference Journals:
- John Wiley & Sons, International Journal of Network Management, ISSN 1055-7148.
- Springer, Journal of Network and Systems Management, ISSN 1064-7570.
- IEEE Communications Society, IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management.
- Henry Stewart Publications, Journal of Telecommunications Management, ISSN 1754-1662.
- IEEE Communications Society, IEEE Network, ISSN 0890-8044.
- IEEE Communications Society, IEEE Communications Magazine, ISSN 0163-6084.
- Evaluation on each student will be done based on the following:
- Class Participation - 20%
- Examination - 40%
- Assignments - 40%
- Note: the above evaluation scheme may change slightly during the course.
- Assignments #1 (10%): Paper reading & presesntation
- Assignments #2 (10%): Network Emulator
- A network emulator (GNS3 or EVE-NG, etc.) should be used to install 4~6 routers on a personal laptop or server in each laboratory, configure OSPF/BGP, and then demonstrate communication between terminals (VirtualPC, tiny Linux, etc.) connected to each router.
- Basic router configuration methods will be explained in Basic Routing Protocols lecture.
- Assignments #3 (10%): Paper reading & presentation
- Assignments #4 (10%): Mininet/ONOS
- Intro to the Advanced Network Management course
- Challenges to Telecommunication Network Operators
- Internet Architecture
- Backbone network
- Edge/Access network
- Basic Routing Protocols
- SPF, Spanning Tree
- IGP(RIP, ISIS, OSPF), BGP
- Router Configuration Experiment
- Paper presentation and evaluation
- Optical Transmission Networks and Cable Networks
- Wireless LAN and Overlay Networks
- ASN2 Routing assignment presentation
- Advanced Routing Protocols
- MPLS (Traffic Engineering, VPN)
- Segment Routing etc.
- SDN and OpenFlow
- SDN/NFV Applications
- SDN/NFV Research Issues
- Experiment with Mininet and SDN Controller
- 5G Core Networks
- Overview of Mobile Network
- 5G Requirements (eMBB, URLLC, mMTC)
- GTP tunneling
- Network Slicing
- Edge Computing
- Papert presentation and evaluation
- Network Management
- TMN(Telecommunications Management Network) & eTOM
- SLA, QoS, QoE
- SNMP, CMIP, CLI
- NM Systems
- Network Security
- Denial of Services, Botnet
- Intrusion Detection
- Future Direction of Networks
- Low Latency Networks
- Machine Learning basedd Network Management
- Final Examination
Jae Hyoung Yoo
Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH)
PIRL Room 326
Tel: +82 54 279 5654