CSED702E: Open Networking Systems (Fall 2016)
Software-defined networking (SDN) and Network Function Virtualization (NFV) are promising emerging networking technologies for reducing CAPEX and OPEX, and for providing flexible and agile service infrastructure for network operators. Open networking systems encompass SDN, NFV and open source networking and system software needed for network softwarization. We will first review their fundamental aspects of SDN, NFV and open source networking. We will then study Open Networking Reference Model that covers open networking software for baremetal switches, whiteboxes, virtual switches, open network operating systems, controllers, orchestrations, and network management applications. This course will utilize existing Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) and flipped learning for learning the technologies. Students will be expected to do some assignments and will carry out a group course project using one or more open source networking software.
Mon. & Wed. 12:30-13:45 (PIRL 221)
Mon. & Wed. 10:30-11:45 (PIRL 337)
(PIRL 422) : 279-5641, noraki(@)postech.ac.kr
A course on computer networking or telecommunications is required.
A good understating of network management, Linux, virtual machines,
containers (e.g., Docker), cloud computing would be very helpful.
Evaluation on each student will be done based on the following:
- Assignments - 20%
- Term Project - 30%
- MOOC course completion - 50% (certificate required)
- Note: the above evaluation scheme MAY change during the course.
- There will be a few assignments (worth 20% of the final mark).
- Assignment 1 (1%) (Out: Sept. 5, Due: Sept. 7 in class)
- Assignment 2 (1%) (Out: Sept. 19, Due: Sept. 21 in class)
- Assignment 3 (3%) (Out: Sept. 19, Due: Sept. 25 23:59)
- Assignment 4 (5%) (Out: Sept. 21) Presentation slides are available!
- Assignment 5 (3%) (Out: Sept. 26, Due: Oct. 2 23:59)
- Assignment 6 (3%) (Out: Oct. 3, Due: Oct. 9 23:59)
- Assignment 7 (3%) (Out: Oct. 10, Due: Oct. 16 23:59)
- Assignment 8 (5%) (Out: Oct. 10, Due: 11:00 on each presentation day)
- Assignment 9 (5%) (Out: Oct. 12, Due: Oct. 23 23:59)
- Assignment 10 (3%) (Out: Oct. 17, Due: Oct. 23 23:59)
- Assignment 11 (3%) (Out: Oct. 24, Due: Oct. 30 23:59)
- Assignment 12 (3%) (Out: Oct. 31, Due: Nov. 6 23:59)
- Assignment 13 (3%) (Out: Nov. 7, Due: Nov. 13 23:59)
- Assignment 14 (5%) (Out: Nov. 2, Due: 11:00 on each presentation day)
- Assignment 15 (5%) (Out: Nov. 2, Due: 11:00 on each presentation day)
There will be a term project (worth 30% of the final mark) during the course.
The topics will be discussed in class.
Students will be asked to prepare, submit and present materials related to the project throughout the course.
Followings are the detailed schedules of the term project and materials to submit:
Suggested MOOC Courses:
QnA & Discussion:
- Course Overview
- Open Networking Reference Model and Ecosystem
- Bare Metal Servers/Switches
- P4, OCP
- OpenSwitch, Open Network Linux, Indigo
- Open vSwitch, DPDK, FD.io
- ONOS, ODL
- OPNFV, OpenMANO, Open O
- Xen, KVM
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Mesos, OpenStack
- Cloud Foundry, OpenShift
- Node.js, Django
- Network Switch OS
- Programmable Data Plane Service
- Network Controllers
- Carrier Networking Functions
- Virtual Machines
- VM/VI Managers
- Application Platforms
- Programming Frameworks
- In common
Dr. James Won-Ki Hong
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH)
Tel: +82 54 279 2244
Fax: +82 54 279 5663
Last modified: Sept. 2, 2016
This page is maintained by J. W. Hong. If you have any questions or
suggestions, please send email to jwkhong(@)postech.ac.kr.