Using NS-2 Simulator
This page explains how to use NS-2 simulator for our project.
- ns-2 is a discrete event simulator for networking research.
- first developed in 1989 at LBL, UCB, supported by VINT project in 1995.
- Since 1997, ns-users mailing list is maintained.
- ns homepage and related services are maintained by Information Sciences Institute (ISI) of
University of Southern California.
- ns-2 is a big package containing various tools.
- The latest all-in-one package version is 2.1b7a. Check the distribution site for the current version.
- The package contains the following components.
- Tcl-8.3.2 : Tcl (Tool Command Language), required
- Tk-8.3.2 : Tcl's graphical user interface toolkit, required
- OTcl-1.0a6 : MIT Object Tcl, an extension to Tcl/Tk for object-oriented programming, required
- TclCL-1.0b10 : tcl/C++ interface for ns-2, required
- ns-2.1b7a : ns-2, required
- nam-1.0a9 : network animator using Tcl/Tk, optional
- zlib-1.1.3 : data compression library for nam-1, optional
- xgraph-12.1 : X-windows-based plotting program, manual pageoptional
- TclDebug-1.9 : Tcl debugging tool, optional
- GT-ITM : Georgia Tech Internetwork Topology Models, optional
- SGB : Stanford GraphBase package, used by GT-ITM, optional
- CWEB : for SGB, optional
- Some components have the daily snapshot of the component, which
contains the latest source updates.
DiffServ Extension to NS-2
- Nortel's simulator implementation for the DiffServ network model has
been added to the latest snapshot of ns-2 package.
- The following snapshot components should be re-installed for diffserv extension.
NS-2 Install in menam
- We have installed the ns-2 package with the daily snapshots of ns-2 and tclcl in our Linux box, menam.
- The following environment variables need to be set to use ns-2.
- Marc Greis's Tutorial and examples are found at the following directory.
- The first simple example can be found at ns-2.1b7a directory. Run the script and look how it's working.
$ cd ns-2.1b7a
$ ns example.tcl
- For running all the test suites, run the following.
$ cd ns-2.1b7a
- The basic examples of test suites are found at the following directory.
README file in the directory will be helpful.
- A lot of examples are found at the following directory.
- DiffServ extension examples are found at the following directory.
This page is maintained by email@example.com
Last updated, June 21, 2001